Many households across the country opt for wood stoves, open fires or other fuel fired appliances as their heating system of choice. There is nothing like sitting around an open fire on a chilly day, and this type of heating can also be very cost effective if the materials are readily and cheaply available. Contact us.
Paying attention around your home
As long as you pay attention to a few basic safety tips, there is no reason why you cannot enjoy your fuel-burning heating system in safety.
Whether an open fireplace or a wood stove, make sure that it is inspected at least annually by a certified specialist. This is vital to ensure that there is no danger of carbon monoxide poisoning, which can occur when there is nowhere for the gases to escape, thus forcing them back into the room.
It is also important to ensure that if you are using an open fireplace to invest in a good quality fire screen, and also to check that there is nothing flammable in the near vicinity of the hearth.
Never leave open fires unattended – although this seems basic, it is often lack of attention to the basic rules of safety which cause accidents. Make sure that the fire is completely spent before going to bed or leaving the house. Also ensure that the logs or coal are piled carefully in the fireplace to avoid them falling out.